Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

On 12/26/2003 04:24 PM, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
The reason for this is that a)
is the case of a users error and trivially fixed, most programms can
even simply avoid this to happen at all by forcing a correct suffix.
b) however is the result of the user doing nothing wrong but the
computer going goofy and leaving the user with no way to fix this,
basically rendering the filemanager unusable for some types of files.

The users targetted by GNOME won't have any clue how to fix a misdetection of the mime type of a file whatever the mime type detection scheme is (by
[...]

O.K. a little OT:
WHO do you mean when you say "users targetted by GNOME"?!
What about users already using GNOME?
Less and less I like the whole idea of content based file recognizing; don't have to say anything that hasent been proposed already, but sure as hell I'm thinking on this one. Some interesting things have been heard in this thread(s).

Cheers,
--
Dalibor Petricevic
Iskon Internet d.d.