"X +bs" bug with ggv and others (gnome-canvas?)

Hello, Folks!

Using VNC Viewer (Virtual Network Computing) in my everyday job, I realized that it lacks backing store support. Everytime its window is covered and revealed, it re-downloads the image from the network. This generates lots of unnecessary traffic, making VNC suck completely.

Trying to solve my problem, I RTFM and discovered two command-line options in XFree86: +bs and -wm. While playing with them, I discovered that they solved my VNC problem. Now VNC has (brute-forced?) backing-store support.

After searching the web and playing a bit, I dropped -wm because it makes X apps use LOTS of memory (and I confirmed this on the Web in a post from some GTK developer). So now I am using only +bs. Don't ask me how, but it works. Here is a snippet of my /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf:

[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X +bs

But there is a problem now: some GNOME applications do not work properly when I use the +bs option. As far as I can remember, these are:

- GGV shows me nothing but blank pages
- The Theme capplet, when previewing metathemes, shows something like memory dumps instead of actual previews

You can see screenshots here:

http://www.gs2.com.br/~fabiofb/screenshots/gnome-bs-bug/

I am not sure wether the problem is in GTK+ or in GNOMECanvas (or somewhere else), so I wrote to gnome-libs-devel gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org, and gnome-devel-list gnome org instead of filing some random bug in Bugzilla.

Is this a bug? Is there any other (more clever) solution to my VNC problem?

I'm a non-subscriber. If you will reply, please CC me. :)

Best wishes from Brazil,

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> Fone: (81) 9127-0597

GS2 TECNOLOGIA DA INFORMAÇÃO LTDA
 - Infra-estrutura de TI, segurança, sistemas embutidos e Linux
 - Consultoria, planejamento, implementação e gerenciamento

http://www.gs2.com.br negocios gs2 com br (81) 3492-7777