GNOME and CYGWin - is it possible?

Greetings. :)

I'm new to the group and was wondering if you all could get me started in the right direction. I'm stuck with CYGWin for right now, and I downloaded the source tarballs for GNOME to try and get it to compile/run. I'm having a "small" issue with the gnome-libs-1.4.1.4 package - it won't "./configure" because it can't seem to detect shared library support. After some investigation, it seems like none of the configure scripts will detect it properly, even if I give it the "--enable-shared" parameter on the command line. I've tried just about everything I can think of. If you don't worry about the shared libraries, the glib-1.2.10 package compiles fine - but you can't compile the gnome-libs package. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

~Bill

========
Life is but a dream; let your imagination run with it.