Re: Your opinion about adding Gnome Xsu to GNOME-Utils

Hi there again,

Please note that my intention was not a flamewar about
PAM or gnome-sudo... or whatever. Because there is a lot
activity on this thread and none of the messages
answer my question actually :-\. (Well, I got one
privat mail from Sean who gives me a solution for
the zvt issue, but that was not on this list)

Thats all I have to say about the PAM solution and the
gnome-sudo application. Which are both good for me.

However, I do think that there should be a distro
independant solution very quick. Gnome lacks a way to
get root permissions for certain applications in an
easy (and secure) way. (no, <xterm; su -; psswrd;
command> is NOT an easy way I think..or not what normal
"users" want to perform).

(just a note) Oh and Eric, You mention :
"or make silly things like setuid root GNOME programs." in
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2001-November/msg00000.html
This is not possible since GNOME xxx anymore. The
GNOME application will not start if it is setuid root.

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax (http://www.freax.eu.org)
irc: irc.openprojects.net mailto:freax @ linux.be