Re: Reminder of dates

On Wed, 2001-11-14 at 03:28, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> >
> > >   GNOME 2.0 Release Schedule
> > >
> > >     October 24  Package List FREEZE - package list for Gnome 2.0 finalized
> > >     October 31  PACKAGES DUE - Gnome 2. Platform Alpha 2
> > >     November 2  RELEASE - Gnome 2.0 Platform Alpha 2
> > >     November 2  API FREEZE - any further API changes must be individually
> > >                 approved [1]
> > >
> > >  -> YOU ARE HERE. (Imagine a large red blob, if you will.)
> > >

> > >     November 23 Feature FREEZE - no feature additions for core packages w/o
> > >                 approval of release team [1]
> >
> > 	Am I alone in thinking that it is completely ridiculous to
> > even hope that in nine days time we will have a feature complete
> > desktop?
> >

> No. 1.4 was a more or less feature complete release. If you have not added
> a feature by the date, you can't add any features over these present in
> gnome 1.4 - its as simple as that. This shpould also not come as a suprise
> to anybody who has been following gnome2 related mails at all.

Given how much of things like the panel are having to be rewritten to
work with the new platform, I think the date is way too agressive. We
should *definitely* stick by our guns on the freeze, but I think its
worth considering allowing Panel "feature" work to continue past the
date (given the current state of the panel, its really hard to define
what a feature freeze would mean for it, since it has almost no features
working right now...does that mean as long as they have code in the
codebase they haven't broken feature freeze? ;-)

-Seth