Re: gnome file open dialog.

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~torriem/gtk/

That's a replacement for a standard GTK+ file selector - there are
patches for source, RPMs of GTK+ 1.2.8 with the patch, and a drop-in
replacement for the file-selector (use LD_PRELOAD to use the new file
selector).

I don't know how active the development is, but perhaps it could be
merged.  I'm sure that's come up before though, I dunno.  It seems kind
of outdated, though.