RE: ACPI support for battery_applet.

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 17:44, Franck Martin wrote:

> While having GNU/Linus/Gnome on my Laptop I have noticed the following
> inconveniences that could be easily solved by a set of applets.
>
> Sorry if it is not the right list but I need to put it somewhere:
>
> 1) There is no applet to control PC Cards.
> 2) Most laptop have now an integrated network card. It does not mean that
> because the card is there that the network is up. There should be an applet
> per network card that allows you to start/stop any network card (basycally a
> call to ifup/ifdown). Some network monitoring can be added as packets
> sent/received.
> 3) This is usualy a hardware specific issue, but laptops have a set of
> special buttons, like volume, brightness,... which controls the software.
> There should be an applet that maps these buttons to controls.

This is handled by external software.  You need a combination of a
modified X-modmap, and software to read these keys and react
accordingly.  X-modmaps for various keyboards can be found on the web
(too bad there's no central place for them).  As for the key reading
software, well, for some dumb reason your WM is in charge of that.