Re: Solaris v2.6 - is it supported?

R.J. Wareham wrote:
> Graham Leggett wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a newly installed and patched Solaris v2.6 installation which I
> > am trying to build Gnome on. All the Gnome source prerequisites build
> > and install fine using gcc.
> >
> > Problems begin when I get to control-center and gnome-core. The compile
> > fails as below.
> >
> > It seems that there is a libXpm library that is missing from the Solaris
> > system, however Gnome somehow finds header files for them - which causes
> > the build to fail at linking.
>
> Solaris ISTR has an interesting 'feature' of its linker whereby, symbols
> are only resolved in libraries from files /before/ it in the command
> line. So one has to be careful of the order, ensuring that required
> libraries, sucha as Xlib etc, are included in the command line before
> the libraries that need them.

If you take a closer look at the link line (which has an interesting
'feature' of being completely unreadable), you'll see that -lXpm isn't
there at all.

libgtkxmhtml.so (whatever that is) should have been linked with libXpm
(recommended by the platform build documentation), but Gnome has another
interesting 'feature' -- it ignores the platform build rules. And
then you have to deal with situations like this one.

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.