RE: gnome/gtk for those with low vision

Greetings Geoff,

I'm interested in SST (speech to text) and SR (speech recognition) for
gnome, and I apologize for not showing up, but I didn't have time to look at
your code, nor test it out due to the short notice...  I'd suggest though
that you might get a better response if you posted to one of the BLINUX
http://leb.net/blinux/  mailing lists.  They have mailing lists that was
specifically dedicated to the visually impaired and Linux, and thus many of
those working and interested in such issues are likely on their mailing
list.

A list such as gnome-gui-list or gtk-i18n-list might also be appropriate,
although IMO there really ought to be a GNOME list that is more directly
targeted at solutions for the physically impaired (I know that SUN is
planning to work on such issues, anyone know what list they plan on
using?)...

I've been thinking about getting STT as well as SR into the Gnome
distribution for usage in guided help (now click on foo, now open file bar),
for dictation for slow typists or the physically impaired, voice commands
for increased productivity, educational tools for the young, among many
other ideas.  One of the difficult things for TTS and SR are getting a
significant amount of data for training and for building accurate models.  I
believe that we could get a number of users to participate by reading a
sentence each day, which could give us an enormous amount of data for
building accurate models.  Also, given the internationalization efforts that
gnome goes through, we could produce models for FAR more languages than most
commercial entities have the resources/interest to do.

ttyl,

Tom M.
TomM pentstar com