Re: Applet Memory Usage

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Sean Thomas Middleditch wrote:

> BTW, what's the difference between  SIZE and RSS?  I noticed a few applications
> showed differences of like 10K in gtop (that being netscape and its required
> ld-linux.so) between Total Size and Residant Size (what I assume RSS to be).

SIZE is the amount of memory that the program is using (both real and
swap).  RSS is the resident set size, or the amount of that address space
that is actually in real RAM.  If RSS and SIZE are about the same, then
the program is actually accessing most of the memory it is using.  If RSS
is a lot smaller than SIZE, then there are large portions of the program's
address space that are not in use.

> Sean Middleditch

James.

--