Re: Gnome Media Library

Lauris Kaplinski wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > e thing we haven't figured out is what language this will be in.
> > > It needs to be object oriented, but C++ sucks.  I'd prefer to design an
> > > architecture/API that could be implemented in any Object-Oriented system,
> > > including
> > >

> > Ah, what's wrong with C++?  I learned it before I did C, and I still find it
> > irritating having to work with the limitations of C... ;-)
>
> Try to derive new class from existing C++ class, using some scripting
> language, and then to use that new class in C++ program in place of
> original ;-)
>
> Lauris

I've actually done, that you know... a real pain in the arse, but I've done it...
;-)  I just like C++ because I CAN derive classes, there are generic
class/function abilities, and you don't have to declare the variales at the
beginning of a code block (that's the big one, there, that is).

Anyway, I get the point... C is more uniform across platforms.  As long as
there's a nice wrapper/whatever-you-call-it for C++, I'll be happy!  ;-)  Not
that my happiness matters, but as a game developer, I know that straight C is
dying... nothing is used in high-end games except C++, the occassional assembler,
and the odd scripting-language to control internal events.  So I like C++.  So
there.:P

Sean Middleditch