Re: Gnome Media Library

> Actually, though, as far as 3D goes, I
> think there are plenty of excellent 3D API that wrap Glide/OpenGL/DirectX as
> is.  I'm more interested in the other aspects, such as movie playback, sound
> playback, and networking.

	"Media" is defined as data that is dependent on time.  For
example, a sound file, an video, or a Flash-type animation.  It does not
have anything to do with realtime 3D (unless someone creates some kind of
animated 3D plugin, which I think is possible using VRML).

	The API we're working on will deal mostly with the input (file
data, such as adding reverb to sound in realtime, or perhaps applying a
Premiere-like filter to some video, or converting from one codec to
another), and output (display, playback, file saving, or perhaps
streaming/broadcasting).

	One primary goal of this project is to abstrace the "media" data
type so that similar functions/procedures can be used to deal with media.
For instance, I imagine the game developer who, at the last minute,
replaces all his cutscene .AVIs with .MOVs, but doesn't need to change a
line of source code for his program...

> Ah, what's wrong with C++?

	Ask a NextStep programmer  :)