GStreamer for Media Library

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:
>
> > OpenML probably does not fit well with the style of OpenGL & OpenAL,
> > as the latter are:
> > - extremely low-level
> > - 100% procedural
> > We need high-level, object-oriented library - probably sitting on top of
> > OpenAL.
>
> OK, I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest GStreamer as low-level
> library for GML.  It's been mentioned before in this thread, and in fact I
> think it was partially responsible for the thread in the first place
> (Nicholas and I've been talking about this stuff for a couple days).

I very much like GStreamer. My only concern is that it appears to have been
designed to be a system that is cool, which is not neccessarily the same as
that it is cool to use it...

What I would like to do would be to work the other way - saying: what needs
do an application have, and how can we address those ? This will lead us to
FAR more acceptance.

Once we've done this, we decide on the interface we wish to provide, gets
lots of feedback redesign and THEN decide on the whether to use GStreamer or
GMF (or get the Be guys to do lots of coding :)

> Work will be proceeding at an increased pace on GStreamer in the near
> term.  I'm getting some core stuff dealt with right now, and Wim and I are
> developing some of the optimization interfaces.  I'll also try to get the
> website redone to make it more useful for developers interested in the
> guts of the project.

I've read through the docs I could find in the CVS, but don't have time to
work the sources. Better documentation would be a Good Thing...