Re: Gnome Media Library

# 	Seriously, though, if some real collaboration with Be does take
# place then the scope of this project will expand far beyond Gnome.  The
# market is ready (or rather, in need of) a cross-platform,
# pluggable-architecture-based open media API.  We should get in touch with
# Loki, Apple, SGI, the KDE folks (and others?) and think about starting a
# consortium for an open media standard.  (Something that's neither
# Quicktime nor DirectX!)

It's funny you should mention that :)

It's something that Nicholas and I have already started discussing -
albeit in private e-mail thus far. Certainly Jean Louis seems to think
that a single standard media API is A Good Thing, and he created an
operating system whose world revolves around multimedia (``BeOS: The Media
OS'', as it's termed by Be).

I would love to see the day when an open source media API is in widespread
use, on pretty much every platform. Be it UNIXen, BeOS, MacOS, Win32 or
anything else - if the same API was employed it'd be fantastic.

I know this is starting to border on wishful thinking, but if we can drum
up support on a wide scale, it could actually happen.

--
Mo McKinlay                                T: +44 (0) 709 22 55 05  x1
Chief Software Architect                   F: +44 (0) 709 22 55 05  x3