Re: window-in-window MDI

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Mo McKinlay wrote:

> # > See how it goes against all that is X and UNIX?
> #
> # 	Hehehe, I never realized WiW was the end-all be-all of Satan.
> #
> # 	Funny.
>
> One could argue that a user-friendly GUI that novices can sit down and use
> with little or no previous experience is going against all that is X and
> UNIX,

No, I think that Tom was making a very specific technical point: WiW MDI
does not fit comfortably into the X + Window Manager framework.  Either
you have the child windows managed by the applications which gives you
the aesthetically and functionally deficient result in the screenshot, or
you get the WM to co-operate.  When this was discussed on the wm-spec list
it wasn't obvious how you would do this, even it you wanted to.

Paul