fork ???

Hi
Do anyone have a good example of how to use fork() ? What I am trying to
do is to execute another program from my app ... I used system() before
but it freezes up my app until the other program exits and do not
continue running the gnome app widget after it ...  that was ok before
but not anymore.I have read the man for it but I really don't get how to
tell it what program to run ...

So I am happy if anyone could share a peice of code that explains how to
do this in a easy way !!! If you need more info please contact me

Thanks
/Magnus
begin:vcard
n:Wirström;Magnus