Retrieving the CVS trees from behind a firewall

Hello,

I'm interested in attempting to port GNOME to Tru64 UNIX.  I've worked
on porting it some using the stable versions, but there are a number
of problems and I'd like to be working on the head code.  I have a
couple of questions:

(1) How can I use CVS from behind a firewall?  Is it possible through
    an http proxy (which is the only connection from here to the
    world)?  I've spent a while reading CVS documentation but haven't
    found mention of what to do in this case.

(2) What packages should I work on first?  CVS gnome-libs seems to be
    broken even on Linux, and there are some packages duplicated in
    the trees.  For example libart_lgpl and gdk-pixbuf both are in
    gnome-libs and have trees of their own.

(3) Gtk+-1.2.x works here.  Should I get the head code for Gtk+, or
    just leave it alone and worry about the others?  That is to ask,
    is 1.2.x sufficient for other packages to compile?

Thanks,
Aron

--
Aron Griffis            Compaq Computer Corporation, ZKO3-3/T30
Tru64 Hardware Support  110 Spit Brook Rd, Nashua, NH  03062