Re: Decoupling GNOME Office?

Let me preface this with the statement that I'm not hacking on Gnome.  I
am a long time user though, so maybe it all works out in the end.

I'd far rather see a separate relase of GNOME Office (G.O.) a bit after
the 1.4 GNOME release.   Certainly the 1.4 release would need to include
the infrastructure bits (guppi et al.) that G.O. will depend on.  My
reasons are:
  *  I'd rather see G.O. listed as a 1.0 release - it hasn't gone through
     the same maturation process that GNOME has and will certainly be
     lacking some features/stability.

  *  It will give a bit of time for 1.4 to settle before hordes of users
     throw another pile of software on top of it.  This should help even
     out some of the bug hunting/reporting that will surely be a part of
     both releases.

  *  It will give the various application hackers a better chance to build
     unification into the various G.O. bits.

  *  It helps keep a clear line of demarcation between G.O. and GNOME (my
     wife & my parents still have problems differentiating between windows
     and Office).

  *  Finally, it is a whole second release to look forward too ;)

-pate