Re: helix setup tools?

The reason for asking for copyright assignments in Helix Setup Tools
is that it would enable Helix to relicense the code of Helix Setup
Tools in the future.

Our plans so far are only to possibly MPL pieces of the code (or use
other licenses, or cross-license the code with other projects) if
required.  Without copyright assignments it is not possible to do this
without requiring every contributor to agree on the license change.
Something that might not be feasible, say, in a few years when
contributors are long gone.

Although we could have chosen to assign copyright to the FSF, we have
contributed most of the code, and we as Helix would like to keep the
copyright for our contributions (Evolution, Helix Setup Tools, Red
Carpet and a few other bits) as it is part of our intellectual
property.

Now, Helix IP is licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL or the GNU
LGPL.  If Helix were to change the license to something that would go
against the spirit of the community, a fork of the code base could
always be possible.  A fork at the last stage where all the code is
released under the terms of the GNU GPL/GNU LGPL.

In this case you would have to trust Helix Code --a for profit
software company-- to do the right thing licensing wise.

Regarding the name of Helix Setup Tools: we wanted to brand those
tools to at least get some recognition from the development we are
doing in this piece of software.

In a world in which Free Software companies are working towards
proving that free software based companies can exist, we want our
brand to be recognized for their contributions to the free software
community.  Crediting contributions has always been my personal policy
when it comes to free software.  This is what I did with every piece
of free software I was involved with.

If this is still something that the community does not feel good with
(contributing code and giving out their copyright assignments) we will
reconsider this, and hope for the best.

Best wishes,
Miguel.