Re: Why GTK+ vs. GNOME?

Evan Martin wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:19:58 -0400, Sean Middleditch said:
> >  I use Mandrake.  They all but force KDE on you.  So I suppose I never really
> >  looked at it that way, since I assumed most people would have both anyways...
> >  See, I told you it was naive question.  ~,^
> Debian still has the licensing issues...

ya, that's true.  I've haven't used Debian yet.  If Mandrake keeps gets any worse
(the jump from 7.0 to 7.1 sucked, you should have seen how badly they slaughtered
GNOME, not to mentioned lied about having Helix GNOME) I think Debian is distro
I'll try next.  I almost did a month or two ago, but was rather ancy about going
from using RPM's since I first used RH 5.2 (I used slackware 3.1 for about a month
before I bought RH).  And I'm babbling again.  Sorry.

> >  So, would you install Qt then for a Qt-only app?  Or GTK+ for GTK+ only app,
> >  if you didn't have GTK+?  I mean, same thing, really, isn't it?  Except
> >  GNOME is a little bigger...  ~,^
> To use any "free" software (except terminals, maybe) for X that was
> written in the past year or so, you'll have to have at least one of GTK
> or QT.
> I'm betting that more people will have GTK (the GIMP really helped it).

I dunno.. Caldera didn't a few versions ago (at least, the computer I saw it on
didn't even have glib, and I couldn't find anything on the install CD) when I tried
to install Everybuddy on a friend's computer (her dad had just started using Linux,
and her Windows installation stopped wanting to use the modem, so she was using
Linux for the Internet stuffs... why do I keep going into too much detail?  and why
don't I just delete it all?).

Sean Middleditch