Re: a suggestion about error-messages

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, John Kodis wrote:

>The problems with this are that many applications generate diagnostic
>output without failing, and that there's no easy way to tell which
>program wrote what output.  A dialog window that pops up on an error
>exit with the application's nameand a log of the output would be much
>more informative and less intrusive than always running xconsole.

I usually find that the diagnostic comes from the program I just
interacted with.  Some programs, sure, dump diagnostics based on other
events.. but then how about a gnome_error() function, that automatically
prepends the program name to diagnostics. (feel free to chide me if this
is already there, and if so, why not use it!).

And I'd have to disagree with the 'less intrusive'.  I find xconsole,
sitting in an unused corner of the display, or even minimised, to be quite
acceptable.  And when I think something goes wrong, I go to the xconsole
and check it.

But then, maybe some people will like a dialog.  So perhaps an option in
the control centre would be favourable.

--
jamesw

    "A 32 bit extension and graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a
2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."
    "What is Windows 95?"
jamesw@student.unsw.edu.au