Re: shlib panel applets (e.g. fish, gkb)

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 01:19:29PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Steve Haslam wrote:
> > [ aside: this came up because when I separate libraries into packages,
> > the *.so.0 symlinks go in the normal package and the *.so symlinks go
> > in the -dev package. So the applets wouldn't work without the -dev
>
> 1. The *.so.0 symlinks don't belong in any package - they get created by
> ldconfig.

I thought libtool created them in .libs? ldconfig doesn't get run on
the libs until they actually get installed- I don't run them as part
of the build. Unless libtool does that for me...

> 2. Adhering to policy in the face of reason sounds like a bad idea. :)
> 3. It looks "odd" because the libs are used different from normal ones.

Well, yes. I'm happy to put up with lintian complaining about .so
links in non-dev packages if that's what's required to make it all
work. But it seems to me that putting the panel applets in a separate
directory where they won't get confused with normal libraries will
avoid the problem and be neater to boot...

> > If I managed to change gnome-core so that the panel applets worked
> > like this, would the change likely be put in upstream, or would I have
> > to keep maintain a (probably rather unpleasant) patch?
>
> Yea we can do it - the hard part is figuring out how to make libtool do it
> cleanly. I don't think the location change thing will work, at least for
> gnome 1.0.x, because of the expected location of 'plugins'.

Urg. TBH, I can't immediately find where they *are* loaded, they seem
to be buried way below the panel application code
itself. Hmmm... goad_server_activate_shlib() ? to
g_module_open()... so it's actually in libgnorba. eek.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam               Debian GNU/Linux               araqnid@debian.org
orbit, gnome-libs, gnome-core, gnome-control-center, gdm, p3nfs,

PGP signature