shlib panel applets (e.g. fish, gkb)

Hi again,

at the moment, panel applets that are shared libraries instead of
separate tasks seem to be installed in /usr/lib,
e.g. /usr/lib/libgkb_applet.so.0.0.0.

Is this necessary? As far as I can tell, nothing will be directly
linked against them, they will have to be dlopen()d. As such, having
the version symlinks is unnecssary and confusing, along with having
them in /usr/lib.

I suggest putting them in /usr/lib/gnome-panel/applets or some similar
place, and just naming them "libfoo_applet.so".

[ aside: this came up because when I separate libraries into packages,
the *.so.0 symlinks go in the normal package and the *.so symlinks go
in the -dev package. So the applets wouldn't work without the -dev
package. But putting the *.so symlinks in the normal package
contravenes policy and looks odd. ]

If I managed to change gnome-core so that the panel applets worked
like this, would the change likely be put in upstream, or would I have
to keep maintain a (probably rather unpleasant) patch? Or is it a
proposed change already?

SRH
--
Steve Haslam               Debian GNU/Linux               araqnid@debian.org
gnome-libs, gnome-core, gnome-control-center, gdm, p3nfs.    what, me worry?

PGP signature