gnome-libs-1.0.10: fails while making private $HOME/.gnome

Hello,

the last days I installed gnome-libs-1.0.10 and discovered some strange results
when compiling soundtracker.  It aborts with

Gnome-ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome directory <$HOME/.gnome>
 - aborting

by inserting some debug output in gnomelib-init.c I see that mkdir() produces
the impossible result of 1 (it has to be 0 for error and -1 for error).  The
result is != 0 but errno contains no error ...

Surprisingly test-gnome has no error and a small demo-app, that calls only
gnome-init() don't shows this error, too.

So I think that there is some other mkdir() that is wrong -- but I can't find
it.  Here is the link-command that my soundtracker is linked by:

gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -I/opt/Gnome/include -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H
	-I/opt/Gnome/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
	-I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include
 	-o soundtracker  audio.o clavier.o envelope-box.o errors.o
	extspinbutton.o gui-subs.o gui.o instrument-editor.o keys.o main.o
	menubar.o module-info.o poll.o preferences.o recode.o sample-display.o
	sample-editor.o scope-group.o st-subs.o track-editor.o tracker.o xm.o
	xm-player.o drivers/libdrivers.a mixers/libmixers.a -lpthread -rdynamic
	-L/opt/Gnome/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl
	-lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lintl -lXi -lXext -lX11
	-lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb -lglib -ldl
	-L/usr/local/lib -laudiofile -lm

Here are the (I hope all) relevant version-numbers:
	linux-2.0.36
	libc5.4.44
	linuxthreads-0.71
	egcs-2.91.60 (egcs-1.1.1)
	X11-3.3.3 (threadsafe)
	glib-1.2.3
	gtk+-1.2.3
	soundtracker-0.1.6

I hope you can help.

BTW: I did know -- and use it as a workaround -- that I can disable creating
the user directories by setting "gnome_do_not_create_directories = 1;"

Yours Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/