Panel idea

So, here I am working away with my Gnome panel running vertically along
the left hand edge of me screen with asclock running at one end.  After
working for a while, covering my desktop with xterms and the like, and
generally making a mess I decide to hide the panel by use of the nice
little buttons at the end.  Unfortunatly, that hides everything, including
my precious asclock that lets me know when it is time to go home.  So,
here is my idea.  What if there was an option on the panel someplace to
leave one or two apps sticking out of the end when the panel is hidden
with the arrows?  That way only the clock would be visable when I wanted,
but at all other times everything would be there.  Has this ever been
discussed before?  Or is there some big glaring reason it hasn't?

Cory Lueninghoener
cluenin1@bigred.unl.edu        http://cse.unl.edu/~cluening
cluening@cse.unl.edu           http://cse.unl.edu/~cluening/pest
cluening@hotmail.com