Re: Desktop::Editor

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 03:05:00PM -0400, Thomas Hudson wrote:

> Good. I've been busy or I would have commented sooner.
Please CC the devel-list, so other people can comment on comments..

> > 3) If we want to be able to do editor scripting through the
> > interface, what do we need apart from insert/remove/search/replace
> > functionality?
> >
> This may be more than you want, but what I really need to use
> an external editor in an IDE is something that more closely
Actually, this was my first motivation to start Desktop::Editor :)

> mimics the internals of a real editor. I would like to see a
> separation of manipulating an editor through a buffer or through
> a view. Manipulating through a buffer would not display anything
> to the user, whereas through a view, the manipulations would be
> shown. Some other differences:
Hmm, why would you need an editor interface if you're going to
edit the file internally? If you want that, you can just change
the file at will, no?

> * An EditorView has the concept of current line and column,
>   selection, higlighting, etc., an EditorBuffer doesn't.
> * An EditorBuffer would be more lowlevel, for services that
>   wanted to share text and be notified of changes to text. For
>   example, a source parser or browser.
> * There can be multiple EditorViews for a single EditorBuffer.
>
> Of course, you also need possibly EditorController to be able
> to tell the editor to load files, create new views, etc.

Martijn

--
Martijn van Beers
martijn@earthling.net