gnome-config problems?

Has anyone been having problems with gnome_config_sync{_file} simply NOT
writing to disk? This is using a config file outside of the ~/.gnome
directory. I'm pushing and popping when I should be, and I've tried
gnome_config_sync() and gnome_config_sync_file() in about a hundred
different places and orders, but it doesn't want to write to the file. I'm
referencing the file as "=test.conf=" for right now; according to the docs
that's correct.

Any ideas?

Joe