- From: Tom Tromey <tromey cygnus com>
- To: Elliot Lee <sopwith redhat com>
- Cc: Tom Tromey <tromey cygnus com>, Gnome Developers <gnome-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: gnome-metadata
- Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:40:49 -0700
>> Thread-safety for the gnome-libs in general would be nice to have.
Elliot> I'd better ask the duh question: "How will this thread safety
Elliot> make GNOME be better?"
It will let people write threaded programs.
Maybe you don't care about this. Hell, maybe I don't -- I don't write
them by default. But it seems to me that VFS has opened the door to
Elliot> Buzzwords sound nice, but it has a performance & memory
Elliot> penalty that we can't just ignore.
You know this how? I doubt the changes I made to gnome-metadata are
even measurable for a non-threaded program.
] [Thread Prev