Re: wxWindows and GNOME

On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 12:19:44PM +0200, Robert Roebling wrote:
> > meaning if a user runs a wxGTK app along with a GNOME up it'll eat
> > up twice the memory, because you'll have two versions of said
> > functionality in memory
>
> So in one mail you say "when istalling KDE you can also install
> GNOME simultaneously" in this mail you say "having wxWin in memory
> is a waste". This doesnīt strike you as contradictory?

I'm saying if wxGTK would use GNOME instead of it's own versions of the
function (or if you think the way you do it is better, we accept patches for
GNOME)

then you have 2 versions of thing is memory if you run under KDE, no matter
if it's wxGTK or wxGTK/GNOME, BUT, if running with GNOME apps, you get memory
savings and consistency between them

> > To integrate well in a GNOME enviroment, basically means using the
> > GNOME libraries
>
> Not a userīs standpoint. Does GNOME care for users? I am no
> longe sure about that.

Why are you not sure about that? One of the purposes of GNOME is to make a
lot of functionality work exactly the same between appliations so that the
user gets consistency, if every app uses it's own homebrewed version, then we
are no longer following that goal

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: