Re: -rdynamic

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 09:04:44AM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Yes it is probably possible to hide symbols, but I don't know if it is
> possible to do so in a portable way.
>
> As for use of -rdynamic, it is used in a few places.  For instance, the
> guile extension for gnome-terminal makes use of it, and signal
> autoconnection in libglade uses it.

So some libraries require -rdynamic, but at the moment everything
seems to be linked with -rdynamic, needed or not. For example, if
you need libgnomeui, then -rdynamic is automatically added.
It would be more logical if -rdynamic was only added when linking
against, for example, libglade?
(It wouldn't hurt if a small configuration change would decrease
the size of most executables with a few %, but maybe there are
drawbacks or complications that I'm not aware of.)

Ronald