libtool doesn't like static libs, so why does GNOME require one on Solaris?

Specifically, -lmalloc.  I just discovered that the reason my recent
GNOME builds all seem to be lacking functionality is that not a single
"plugin-type" shared library built *shared* --- libtool whines about
how -lmalloc isn't shared, so it's creating a static library instead
(which is, of course, completely useless).

brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]
electrical and computer engineering					 KF8NH
carnegie mellon university	  ["better check the oblivious first" -ke6sls]