GNOME component versioning

Is there currently a facility for quickly determining the versions of
various GNOME components in use on a system?  Would such a system be
useful?

To give you an idea of what I'm thinking about, imagine a tab in the
"About GNOME" dialog box which summarized the versions of your
installed GNOME components, such as "panel 1.0.4", "gmc 4.5.30", etc.
 I know that sort of information is available from the individual
applications about boxes, but it might be useful (especially for
automated bug reporting) for that information to be summarized in one
convenient location.

Of course, implementation could be a problem.  One way to do it might
be to have the standard install script (perhaps the new build tool
under discussion) automatically update a file such as
~/.gnome/gnome-versions (or, perhaps more exactly,
/usr/share/gnome/gnome-versions, since it's probably a system-wide
thing).  Or we could use a more targetted approach, and simply
provide an interface for certain key components (panel, gnome-libs,
gmc, etc.) to provide their version numbers, so that the About GNOME
(or a generalized system information utility) could easily obtain
them.

This is obviously a new feature, and not a high priority, but I
thought it might be useful to think about, both as individual
packages (even within the "core" GNOME system) start to separately
evolve (more so than even before) and since we're currently
discussing changes to the build/install process.

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College Class of 1999