Re: Gnome/Linux login/session host for a Solaris appserver

Le lun 02/02/2004 à 03:32, Terje J. Hanssen a écrit :
> To offload an older Sun/Solaris CAD application server from running also
> CDE sessions for networked XDMCP clients(diskless clients, X terminal),
> I have started to introduce a Sun Java Desktop System workstation as a
> Gnome login&session host/server.
>
> That is, the X station/terminal query the SJDS host for GDM
> login&session and from there have to get the Solaris appserver to run
> the CAD application as execution host.
>
> It was quite easy to enable XDMCP on SJDS/Gnome.
> The sun XDMCP client loads its X server and get remote GDM login with
> the following entry:
> /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun -nobanner -query SJDShost
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Does Gnome (like xdm and CDE) use Xaccess to restrict which XDMCP
> clients are allowed to connect, or are there other ways to do it?
You can continue to use XDM, or use the GNOME Display Manager (GDM),
which you'll find is easier to configure.

> 2) How to include the SJDS host as fontserver in the query?
It depends on your X server (so, running on the client). Most accept
using values retrieved by DHCP, ...

> 3) In addition I wish install the lacking themes Bright and Esco, which
> are suggested for 8 bit color support.
Are these GTK/GNOME themes, or GDM themes?