Fwd: [LT06-Pro-Announce] Infomail #6, April 20, 2006 - Sleeping at the Gym

fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wolfgang Drotschmann <drotschm linuxtag org>
Date: Apr 20, 2006 1:22 PM
Subject: [LT06-Pro-Announce] Infomail #6, April 20, 2006 - Sleeping at the Gym
To: projects-announce linuxtag org

Dear Project,

included in this infomail is long awaited information about:
  o The Gym
  o How to Get There
  o Contribution Towards Expenses
  o Breakfast
  o Terms
  o "Das Drumherum"
  o Where to Register
  o Organisational Things

1. The Gym

Together with our partner at the supervisory school authority of
Wiesbaden, we arranged for a gym for sleeping accommodation.  It is
located in immediate vicinity to the Rhein-Main-Hallen, and belongs to
the Gymnasium Oranienstraße.

The address is

  Oranienschule Wiesbaden
  Oranienstraße 5-7
  D-65185 Wiesbaden

The gym is near the Rhein-Main-Hallen, and thus, the Old Town is
within reach, too.

It offers about 200 slots for each of the four nights, which are
  - Tuesday, 02.05.06, to Wednesday, 03.05.06,
  - Wednesday, 03.05.06, to Thursday, 04.05.06,
  - Thursday, 04.05.06, to Friday, 05.05.06, and
  - Friday, 05.05.06, to Saturday, 06.05.06.

The gym has four changing rooms, each including four to five showers
and sanitary facilities.

2. How to Get There

It takes approximately 12 minutes afoot from the Rhein-Main-Hallen to
the gym.  Travelling by bus seems to take (much) more time, and costs
additionally money.

More information about this aspect can be achieved at the pages of the
Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund [1].  There, at "Timetables" choose item
"Individual enquiry" [2].  In the Route Planner, insert into the
"From" and "To" fields
  for departure:   Wiesbaden Rhein-Main-Hallen
  and for destination: Wiesbaden, Oranienstr. 5
respectively.  This should give you a starting point if you want to
find out more about connections and tickets.

We'll try to prepare a map for this.  In the meantime, you could use
the map offered by the web pages of the city of Wiesbaden ([3],
options "Java" and "Javascript" needed here).

3. Contribution Towards Expenses

More than in the years before, LinuxTag faces a difficult situation in
terms of finances.  And, as you may expect from the clammy situation
the public budget is in, we have to pay rent for the use of the gym.
Please understand that we have to ask you for a contribution.

Per night and nose, ähm, we mean, person, sleeping accommodation costs
EUR 7,-.  This is inclusive breakfast (please see below).
But: This is for early birds.

>From the moment the reservation system goes online, it will serve in a
first-come, first-serve manner.  The early bird reduction stays valid
not exceeding Wednesday, April 26th, 2006.  Beginning Thursday, April
27th, 2006, each reservation, inclusive breakfast (please see below),
will cost EUR 9,-.

All who have registered for accommodation (please refer to item
6. below) can buy their "sleep ticket" at the box-office, which will
be tagged accordingly, at the entrance of LinuxTag.  In exchange for
the money you will get a coloured wristband for each night.

4. Breakfast

A breakfast will be served at the Rhein-Main-Hallen.  From 7:30 PM to
9:00 PM a buffet offers you rolls, cheese, sausage, jam, butter, tea,
coffee.

Although arranged as a buffet, those who arrive early to have their
breakfast please should have in mind that others will arrive later on.
So please help yourself moderately.

5. Terms

Please understand that we have to insist on the following.

The gym opens doors no earlier than 10:00 PM, and we have to leave it
at 7:30 AM in the morning.
This is due to the fact that there are no holidays and that sports
clubs use this gym, too.  The gym is in use by students and sportsmen
round the clock.

Only registered folks (please refer to item 6. below) will get
entrance to the gym.  We'll have a concierge desk at the gym to ensure
that.

Please understand that sleep ("Nachtruhe") begins at midnight, 0:00.
The concierge closes the door at 1:00 AM.
Possibly he'll leave his mobile number at the door, but we can not
ensure this at the moment.

Outdoor shoes are not allowed inside the gym itself.

The same with smoking and drinking.  Those who have to wallow in vice
are strongly advised to do this outside the building.
This is only fair to those who need a rest after a hard day at the
exhibition, as an aide, as exhibitor, or whatever.  This should go
without saying.

Please keep everything tidy and neat.  Keeping that state helps to
leave the gym in time at dawn and eases the job for those who tidy up
and clean up the facility.
Use the existing waste bins and bags.

As stated, the gym is in use most of the day.  Unfortunately the
school itself suffers from a shortage of space, and isn't able to
offer storage at the school.

Please attend the orders of the team on site.

All of this will help to keep a good relationship to the school
authority, the school, and the concierge of the school.  Please keep
in mind that we depend on a good reputation to be able to offer this
again next year.

6. "Das Drumherum"

Again, only registered folks will get entrance to the gym.  Please
understand that there will be only very limited opportunities to buy
sleeping accommodation at the gym itself.  You can buy that at the
marked box-office throughout their opening hours -9:00 to 18:00- at
LinuxTag.

At the moment, the situation in terms of storage is unsatisfying.  We
have to ask you to be prepared to transfer your stuff to the
Rhein-Main-Hallen as long as we can offer no other practicable
solution for this problem.  We're exploring one or two options here,
so we ask you for patience for this detail.

Following this lack of space respectively time (to use the space) we
had to choose to offer breakfast at the Rhein-Main-Hallen.

7. Where to Register

We enhanced our Swiss army knife, the vCC, with just another feature,
ähm, we mean, view for this purpose.  Please use it to register for a
sleeping accommodation.  This is done in three steps.

First, like every user of the vCC, each visitor will have to undergo
the creation of an account.  Of course, those of you who already have
an account, can proceed to the third step.  At

  https://www.linuxtag.org/vcc

choose "Accounts" in the second menu line, and fill in username and
mail address properly.  Shortly, you'll receive a password.

Second, with this please log into the vCC by choosing "Settings" (last
item in the upper menu line), and fill in this minimal personal data:
Please give us firstname and lastname within this form.  This really
helps us to keep in view with the utilisation of the gym.  Only
registrations containing personal names are taken into account.

Third, visit page "Visitor", third item in the upper menu line.  There
you can register for each accommodation individually.  You'll find the
actual capacity of the gym.  And, you can free your registered slot in
case you've changed your mind.

8. Organisational Things

We still need helping hands to accomplish with this.  For each night,
a team of, say, three to five persons is needed to handle
  - opening and closing of gym entrance,
  - instruct straightly arrived persons, and
  - clearance and cleaning.
This definitely will help to save some costs.  As an incentive, aides
will get free accommodation and breakfast.  Everybody who wants to
help is very welcomed and invited to subscribe to

  gym2006 linuxtag org

a mailing list set up to organise this concern.

We owe you detailed information about...
...storage,
...map of the city centre,
...the social event, and
...the community evening.

We'll get back to this in the next days.

Regards,

Wolfgang Drotschmann, Marko Jung, Martin Schulte
Project Committee LinuxTag 2006

[1] http://www.rmv.de/coremedia/generator/RMV/Sprachen/SPRACH__ART__en.html
[2] http://www.rmv.de/coremedia/generator/ExterneLinks/RMV/Sprachen/Verbindungsauskunft/LINK__Einzelauskunft__en,templateId=redirect.html?url=http_3A_2F_2Fwww.rmv.de_2Fauskunft_2Fbin_2Fjp_2Fquery.exe_2Fen_3FL_3Dvs__rmv_26
[3] http://english.wiesbaden.de/frame.php?menue=/menues/city_map_menue.php&aID=447&content=/lageplan/stadtplan_newstart.php&werbeseite=/banner/Stadtplan.php