[gnome-db] Poor start with Gnome DB

Hello,

At the moment I have an application which directly uses PostgreSQL, but why not try and incorporate Gnome DB in the application? The (excellent) GNOME Data Access 5 book describes several command line tools. So, before writing any code, I thought it wise to first try and set up a connection with my PostgreSQL database by means of:

gda-control-center-5.0
or
gda-test-connection-5.0

No luck so far.

gda-control-center-5.0 gives the following error message as soon as I start typing the user id / password:
couldn't connect to dbus session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

gda-test-connection-5.0 I gives the following error message:
WARNING **: Can't open connection to DSN PostgreSQL: Could not set search_path to /var/lib/pgsql/data

Of course, as a GNOME Data Access beginner I may do something very stupid. Maybe you can help me out.

Otherwise, since PostgreSQL runs fine and the Gnome DB command line tools will undoubtedly function correctly, could there be a problem of compatibility among versions of software packages?

Here is a list of software versions which I think might be of interest in the current context.

- Linux distro: openSUSE 12.2

The following packages all come from the openSUSE 12.2 repository.

- Current kernel, version 3.4.11-2.16
- PostgreSQL, version 9.1-7.16.1
- libgda, version 5.0.3-3.1.2
- libgda-postgres, version 5.0.3-3.1.2
- D-bus Message Bus System, version 1.5.12-4.10.1

Since I program in C++, after I succeed in setting up a connection with PostgreSQL through Gnome DB, I would use:
- libgdamm, version 4.99.6-2.1.2

Any idea what is going on?

Kind regards,
Andre Hasekamp.