Re: [gnome-db] gdaui-login-dialog

On 26 April 2010 14:50, Jean Bréfort <jean brefort normalesup org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> gnome-db-login-dialog.h used to be a public header. gdaui-login-dialog.h
> seems to be used exclusively by control-center and is not part of
> libgda-ui. As the dialog was used by gnumeric, I'd like to know how
> things can be fixed. Currently, there is no gda/gnome-db support in
> gnumeric anymore.

Libgda-UI has the GdauiLogin widget, which you then have to include in
a dialog if you want. You can have a look at the
libgda-ui/demos/login.c or copy and adapt the
tools/browser/login-dialog.[ch] files.

The reasons I've removed the login dialog widget are:
* LibgnomeDb's implementation was very basic and did offer very little
* most importantly it was not useable directly by applications as each
application has different needs when opening a connection, such as:
   - maybe several connections can be opened at once (as for the
GdaBrowser tool),
   - what to do if opening the connection fails?
   - does the application allow using DSN or not?
So trying to make a widget answer all these questions was more trouble
than forcing the user to design his own login dialog.

> Btw, gnome-db.org tells that communication can go through irc on the
> #gnome-db channel, but this channel seems not used at all.

Yes, I'll change that info ASAP.

Regards,