Re: [gnome-db] Threads.

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 21:39 +1000, Bas Driessen wrote:
Hello,

Question regarding libgda and threads.

I open a data source connection (ie: gda_connection_open_from_dsn) in thread 1 and then I try to perform any action on the connection (ie: gda_connection_statement_execute_select) in thread 2. If I do this in Postgresql all works fine. If I try to do this in MySQL then the system appears to hang in thread 2. I assume because thread 1 is holding a lock on the connection.

How can I remove the lock that is set by function gda_connection_open_from_dsn so I can access the connection information from thread 2?

Perhaps slightly out of libgda scope, but is there a difference between Postgresql and MySQL when it comes to threads and locking? It appears that Postgresql does not have that concept or perhaps by default configured not to use threads?

I think I found the answer in the manual:

"If MySQL client was not compiled with the --enable-thread-safe-client flag, then the database provider will only allow connections to be opened from the thread which initializes Libgda. Otherwise there is no limitation."

Thanks.