Re: [gnome-db] Partial Meta Store update.

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 10:52 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:

2009/7/20 Bas Driessen <bas driessen xobas com>
On Sun, 2009-07-19 at 13:31 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:

2009/7/19 Bas Driessen <bas driessen xobas com>
Hello,

Question regarding partial meta store update. I found that the following to update a single table does not appear to work:

        g_print ("\nPartial metastore update for table '%s'...\n", TABLE_NAME);
        GdaMetaContext mcontext = {"_tables", 1, NULL, NULL};
        mcontext.column_names = g_new (gchar *, 1);
        mcontext.column_names[0] = "table_name";
        mcontext.column_values = g_new (GValue *, 1);
        g_value_set_string ((mcontext.column_values[0] = gda_value_new (G_TYPE_STRING)), TABLE_NAME);
        if (!gda_connection_update_meta_store (connection, &mcontext, &error))
                return -1;

After this, my meta store is NOT updated.

This may depend on the actual value of TABLE_NAME, specifically if it is a mix of upper and lower case, or if it's a reserved keyword. The proper way is:
tmp = gda_sql_identifier_quote (TABLE_NAME, cnc, NULL, TRUE, FALSE); // or with the last argument being TRUE, see the doc
g_value_set_string ((mcontext.column_values[0] = gda_value_new (G_TYPE_STRING)), tmp);
g_free (tmp);

Note that this is brand new (just been sorted out) and will require the master or LIBGDA_4.0 branches up to date.

Thanks Vivien, but this unfortunately is not still not working. Let me explain my testing scenario and if I understand this the correct way.

-1 I have a database with a table called "groups"
-2 I run the gda_connection_update_meta_store to update the meta store.
-3 I look into the meta store with sqlite3 and execute "select * from _tables". I can see the "groups" table in that list.

So far so good:)

-4 I add a table called "parts"
-5 I run the code above (with your modification) where the TABLE_NAME is set to "parts" (without quotes).
-6 I execute "select * from _tables" and I expect to see the "parts" entry, but it is not there.

It should be there...

-7 I execute the gda_connection_update_meta_store to do the full update.
-8 I execute "select * from _tables" and I expect to see the "parts" entry and now it is there.

My questions:

-1 Is my understanding of how this mechanism should work correct?

Ye, it is.

-2 Anything (obvious) that is not in the code above?
-3 I use "gda_meta_store_new_with_file" to open my (sqlite3) meta store database. Is it possible that somehow it is mixing up the internal (memory) database with the external one?

I don't think so, but I'd prefer to have some actual code to look at before I can say...

If you send me a standlone program which shows the bug, I'll make the necessary corrections (either to Libgda or to your code).

Attached a small application that demonstrates the single table problem. Set up as follows:

(postgresql) database with 1 more tables
data source called "stocksql" (or change the connection name in the source).

The program performs the following steps:

-1 Open the connection
-2 Open the meta store
-3 Drop table "xparts" (if exists)
-4 Build complete meta store
-5 Create table "xparts"
-6 Update SINGLE table meta store.

After this open: sqlite3 /tmp/single.db

select * from _tables

There should be an entry for "xparts", but it is not there.

Is this enough input?

As a comment, I quickly put this together, so the error handling and program style is not the nicest :) Also I did not use DDL calls for drop table etc as that is not the focus anyway.

It works for me (I've had to modify  "gchar tableName;" to "gchar *tableName;" but it's the only modification I've done):

c0> select * from _tables where table_name = 'xparts';
table_catalog | table_schema | table_name | table_type | is_insertable_into | table_comments | table_short_name | table_full_name | table_owner
--------------+--------------+------------+------------+--------------------+----------------+------------------+-----------------+------------
stocksql      | public       | xparts     | BASE TABLE | TRUE               |                | xparts           | public.xparts   | vivien
(1 row)

You are right about the *tableName of course. Not sure why that * got dropped.

Which version of PostgreSQL and libgda are you using?

I am on the latest LIBGDA_4.0 git branch. (so I am NOT on master, perhaps that may be the issue?)

I am using postgresql 8.3.7  (default with Fedora 11)

$ rpm -qa | grep postgresql
postgresql-devel-8.3.7-1.fc11.x86_64
postgresql-python-8.3.7-1.fc11.x86_64
postgresql-libs-8.3.7-1.fc11.x86_64
postgresql-server-8.3.7-1.fc11.x86_64
postgresql-8.3.7-1.fc11.x86_64

What additional permissions (grants) do I need in Postgresql to be able to retrieve the data that is used the build the meta store? For testing now I have assigned an administrator role, but that is probably not a  good idea in production?

No specific permission is required, except that the pg_catalog and information_schema schemas need to be readable (but I think it's the case all the time). Moreover, the meta data retreival works when updating all (calling gda_connection_update_meta_store() with a NULL context).

I don't see why it does not work...

What you can do is uncomment the line 2248 of gda-meta-store.c to define DEBUG_STORE_MODIFY, recompile and run your code again. You'll then have a lot of information about the update process of the GdaMetaStore, and maybe you'll see what's wrong. Be aware that when running gda_connection_update_meta_store(), the whole process takes place in a transaction so if something fails, then the meta store is reverted to what it was before the call.

If you want you can send me the output it produces so I can have a look.