Re: [gnome-db] Writing a ldap port

On 10/1/07, Exell Enrique. Franklin Jiménez <arawaco ieee org> wrote:
> Hello
> In this file gda-ldap-provider exist the following
> function:
> tatic GdaDataModel *
> get_ldap_tables (GdaConnection *cnc, GdaParameterList
> *params)
>
> Looking in
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/libgda-3.0/stable/libgda-provider-get-schema.html
> says that is for  describe the objects in the database
> that is ok; but what is the porpuse of this function.
>
> what is the meaning & function of the following
> returned fields
> name, owner, comments, SQL definition
> other informations that you think is useful are
> welcome.

This provider's virtual method is the way the user can get information
about the database schema (tables, functions, views, etc). For each
type of information, a new GdaDataModel is returned, each composed of
columns which are described in this part of the documentation.

For this specific case, this means that the virtual function should
return the list of tables (or views), one table description per row,
and for each table its name, its owner, some comments and ist SQL
definition.

Now for the LDAP provider, only the name and comments make sense, so
you'll only have to fill these values (and let the other columns as
NULL). The list of "tables" (they are not tables for the LDAP
provider, but a custom made GdaDataModel which I'll make appear as a
table for the user of Libgda) is defined by you.

For now I'd say you should not worry about writing the code for this
since I will be writing the actual code for the LDAP provider itself
(the "glue code" to make the GdaDataModel(s) you'll have defined as
tables) - just tell me when you have the GdaDataModel(s) ready.

Cheers,