Re: [gnome-db] Drop Table... How to?

Vivien Malerba wrote:
> Now about the XML file, there is no documentation about it but there
> is a DTD and the sytax is very simple. For example:
What I really don't understand is "why XML?".
IMVHO converting some binary data structure to text, then back to binary
is quite an inefficient way to comunicate inside a library.

I'd prefer a lot something based on GObject, so I can handle directly
the objects. Like in Gtk when you have to build a treeview, just to give
an idea of what I mean.

In pseudo-OO:

db=new Db(provider, host, port, ...);
newtable=db.table.new("tablename");
newtable.column.new("col1", G_TYPE_INT); // auto-conversion from gtypes
newtable.column.new("col2", "sequence"); // user-supplied type
newtable.index.new("idx", "col1", "col2", -1);
newtable.commit(); // Actually execute "CREATE TABLE"

XML is great for user-managed files, but if we have some way to convert
to/from a binary representation (which we must have anyway, at least the
XML->bin part), the whole system is a lot more efficient (both for
memory and speed)...

Just my .02... :)

BYtE,
 Diego.