Re: [gnome-db] What are we doing with the API?

On 9/8/06, Daniel Espinosa <esodan gmail com> wrote:
I lost the object of GDA!

Ok talk about this:

- I have a program that wants to save its data using diferent data sources
(XML, SQLite, a DBMS)

- I know that this could need diferent code for diferent provider, but I
want to write my code once and try to make it works any where.

- Becouse that, I'll create a simple but functional database structure, that
may not use all the characteristics that much DBMS could give, but I just
want to save data using any provider I have at hand.

- I want a simple "one function, one action" API that works well, becouse
time is money

- I don't want a lot of code to do some simple task

Is it GDA meets this? No!!!!! What are we doing?

Other case:

- I have a program that wants to get and update data in a data base

- I know that this could need diferent code for diferent provider, but I
want to write my code once and try to make it works any where.

- I want a simple "one function, one action" API that works well, becouse
time is money

 - I don't want a lot of code to do some simple task

 Is it GDA meets this? No!!!!! What are we doing?

Then, why not to return most functions (keeping the actual functionality)
that makes the most simple task, simple and fast!

The most common task:

- Query                     gda_connection_execute_command( Conection,
SQL_Command)
- Create Tables          gda_connection_create_table ( Connection,
Table_Name, Column_Name, Column_Type, ..., -1)
- Update Tables         It is simple in current API
- Insert Data              It is simple in current API
- Delete Data             It is simple in current API

A simple API for simple task is better for multiple purposes and simple
applications.

I've inversted a lot of time to aneble libgda to make accessible _all_
of the features of each DBMS while keeping the API _relatively_
simple. If you want a gda_connection_create_table(), then it's _very_
easy to write one which uses the current features of libgda, it's only
a wrapper.