Re: [gnome-db] Gda_Value_Stringify of a double

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 15:14 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> > It says that string is meant to be human-readable, but it ignores
> the
> > current locale, and it makes assumptions about the numeric
> formatting
> > wanted. So it's no use for actually showing to a human. I suggest
> that
> > it be marked as "useful only for debugging, and not for showing
> values
> > in your user interface."
> >

> It is also very usefull when you want to save a value in an (XML for
> example) file and you need to be able to read it back even if the
> locale has changed.

OK. I think we can call that "serialization", in a canonical
locale-independent human-readable format.

Both uses should be mentioned in the documentation. And the
documentation should clearly state that it's not for showing in your
application's UI.

> If you want to take into account the locale, then you should use the
> GdaDataHandler which both takes into account the locale and any syntax
> specific to a DBMS. GdaDataHandler objects are created and managed by
> each provider and you can use them just after having obtained a
> pointer to one using gda_server_provider_get_data_handler_gtype() or
> gda_server_provider_get_data_handler_dbms().

Is there documentation, or an example, of this somewhere?

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com