Re: [gnome-db] Screenshots: mystery buttons

On 12/4/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 10:06 +0100, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On 12/4/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > In the second picture here
> > http://www.openismus.com/temp/libgnomedb_3_0_docs/html/ch05.html
> >
> > there are four right-arrow buttons at the right edge of the dialog. I
> > can't imagine what they do. Is this screenshot out of date?
> >

> Those buttons, hidden by default, allow the user a finer control of
> what's in the data entry (it's a popup menu). It can allow to set a
> value to NULL, or to reset a value, or to set the value to be the
> default value (if one is defined).

Ah. Thanks.

Can this be removed? Is it there by default? It seems inappropriate for
most users.

It's hidden by default, and you can only display those buttons aith an
API call, so no need to remove it.

For instance,

"unset":
- If the field is a text field, then "unset" (NULL) will have no meaning
for a user. The user can not be expected to distinguish between a NULL
value and an empty string.
- For other types, such as numbers and dates, clearing the entry should
result in a NULL value going into the database. I should not have to
explicitly choose "unset".

"set to default value":
- This is only useful if there is a default value specified for that
field.
- Usually it's OK to just use the default value for new fields.
- If this is wanted sometimes, it should be optional for some fields.

"reset to original value"
- What does this mean actually? Is it something I can use before
pressing Enter, to stop my changes being written to the database? If so,
wouldn't Undo already do this?

All these are the reasons why it's hidden by default, and to be
enabled only under some well defined circumnstances.