Re: [gnome-db] Oracle provider version question

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:29:42 -0300
Juan Manuel Mouriz <jmouriz gmail com> wrote:

> Is the Oracle provider compatible with the latest version 10g R2
> (10.2.0.1)?
>
> I need study Oracle API for a work and they require that I know this
> version.

Yes, it is compatible. The Oracle API that the Oracle provider uses
(OCI) has not changed since at least Oracle 8. There used to be some
minor compile problems with Oracle 10 (but not because of API
incompatibility, but because of a changed file structure), that has
has been fixed in the latest release.

But the Oracle provider doesn't handle LOBs very well (even if you use
an older version of Oracle). Not many open source applications does,
Perl is the only one I know about. The problem with the Perl code is
that it uses very old and deprecated functions (or perhaps only function
names) which makes it bad for studying anyhow.