Re: [gnome-db] gda escaping values and prepare/execute

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 15:37 +0800, Alan Knowles wrote:
> Rodrigo,
> A non-urgent message while you are away ;)
>
> I spent some time today looking at gda_data_model_append_row, and the
> backend implimentations.
>
> General escaping.
> gda_mysql_value_to_sql_string (and posibly others), looks like it should
> really escape/quote the strings, as well as surrounding them with "", -
> this would reduce the necessity to make gda_*_provider_escape_string.

but we'll still need a function to be called by clients, right? If so,
we'd need gda_*_provider_escape_string.

> Prepare/execute:
> for backends that support it (postgres? others etc.) - it looks like
> rather than building the SQL statement (append/update), using the
> prepare/execute may be more efficient?
>
> where any design decisions ever consider on these?

not really, but I'd be glad to have this as an API addition for 2.0.
Could you please provide a summary of the changes you think should be
needed?

What could we do? provide prepare_statement/execute_prepared_statement
methods to be implemented by backends? or extend GdaCommand to support
both simple and prepared statements?
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>