Re: [gnome-db] gda_connection_supports

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 17:01 -0700, Neil Zanella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could someone please explain to me the following design decision:
>
> The gda_connection_supports function takes a connection object as a parameter.
> However, to know whether a connection supports SQL it should be
> sufficient to ask
> the provider without having to connect. Otherwise, to present to the
> user a list of
> providers which support SQL, I have to establish a connection for each of them,
> which seems unreasonable. Could anyone please explain here... and how should
> I solve the issue of presenting to the user only providers which support SQL and
> not others so that the user may select from a _correct_ set of providers.

the _supports method is for getting more info from the provider than
just if it supports or not SQL. Also, sometimes, that information is
only available if there is a connection (think ODBC for instance).

Of course, what we could do is make the providers have that method
implemented so that it can be called without having to establish a
connection. That would work for some providers, but for others (like
ODBC), the results would be sometimes wrong.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>