Re: [gnome-db] Database Name Missing in the New Data Source Wizard

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 13:19 -0500, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
> Testing Version 1.1.6
>
> If you try to create a new Data Source, the Wizar
> don't ask you for the Data Base Name, and as user
> normaly prefer don't to fill the parameters, becouse I
> think it for advanced users.
>
> I think the first step to fill up the minimum
> information to access a data source (supouse the so
> called advanced options are defaults) in the Wizard
> 'must' be there.
>
> This 'advanced options' are in english, and a spanish
> peaple normaly don't take care about it.
>
> In my case, I create a new data source and don't take
> care about this options, and I can't connect becouse I
> don't fill up the database name (it's basic for
> conecting).
>
> This is just a point of view from an end user.

I've been thinking on the new data source dialog, and I think a good way
of simplifying that dialog would be to extend the information returned
by the providers' get_connection_params method. Instead of returning
just a string, which is what they do right now, they could return a list
of structures, each one containing:
	- the name of the argument to be used in the connection string
	- a short description, to be used in the new DSN dialog
	- the type of the value
	- whether it's required or not.

With this, the dialog can have a more descriptive look.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>