Re: [gnome-db] Re: question: in memory table representation: please help

:-) :-) :-)

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, what I am developing is similar in spirit, but I the overall
design is different.
Basically, my engine is different, just like there can be different
game engines,
there are going to be different GUI to DB engines I guess. And eventually
someone is going to generalize all of everyone's ideas and create a really
big and versatile GUI engine.

Basically, like a game engine is designed with specific game categories in mind,
so is a GUI to database engine. So there you have it. Anyways, coding a couple
of XML parsers with libxml should not be a big deal, so I don't need to look at
their code. Once my library is refactored and my app runs, then I will consider
contacting them and see what more can be done.

For now, there are features I'm implementing that I just don't see there.
The site seems to have the right idea but lacks applications demonstrating
the usability of their library. By contrast I am building a library based on a
real application. IMHO it makes a difference. Libraries should be designed
based on the needs of real applications, not the other way round. In most
cases it seems impractical to build the library after you've built the
application, but the reality is that unless you build an application
first you will have a hard time envisioning the right patterns to
implement in your library. So there you have it. The downside
is that when most people finish building their apps they don't
spend the time to refactor a library out of it. Well that's just
too bad, but to do it well you must go the hard way.

Regards,

Neil