Re: [gnome-db] Future characteristic

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 11:28 +1300, Dru wrote:
Rodrigo Moya wrote:

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 09:54 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:43:58 -0500, Daniel Espinosa Ortiz
<esodan yahoo com mx> wrote:
I think we will need Widgets to manage a Fields, may useful when you
create a gnome_db_form.

The you have gnome_db_text, gnome_db_date, and one for any GdaValue type
exist. this Widget may have an associated Label, and some methods.
I've already created such a class, but for libmergeant (can't be used
as-is for libgnomedb because it requires the data dictionnary
libmergeant maintains). If you want to have a look, the classes are
MgDataEntry (the actual base class for widget to be found in a form)
and MgDataHandler (a base non widget class to convert between SQL,
user and GdaValue some values).

it looks to me much better to have a single class than a
GnomeDbDate/Int/Float, etc. Is that how it works in Mergeant?

If we want one day to make libmergeant and libgnomedb closer, then I
think we should have a kind of framework for form entry widgets in
libgnomedb which libmergeant will improve on (I say "improve" because
it has a finer view of the data types, etc because of the data
dictionnary it maintains).

as we talked some time ago, libmergeant and libgnomedb should probably
be merged at some point in future. The current widgets-only approach of
libgnomedd makes it quite unattractive for many people, who prefer to
just use normal GTK widget bound to libgda data. So, I think we should
try to have libgnomedb/libmergeant be an extension to GTK, so that
people can continue using any kind of GTK widget with access to the rich
libgmergeant dictionary. That would make libgnomedb/libmergeant a much
more attractive library to use.

Sorry i have to say it. You know plug my own stuff and all

http://bond.treshna.com

Widgets are normal gtk widgtes, hash table of BondObjects* represent widgets on a one to one ratio. BondObjects* contain libgda data sources.

yes, I know. We should be having that code in Bond with the extra data
dictionary features in libmergeant. I think that would make libgnomedb a
very nice library to work with.
libgda has -or should have- all the information needed to build the
data dictonary at runtime which mergant uses to show/edit/add to
the schema and data.