Re: [gnome-db] gda_data_model_describe_column.

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 21:09 +1000, Bas Driessen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using libgda 1.0.4. Quick question regarding the function
> "gda_data_model_describe_column". When I use this against a MySQL
> table, this all works fine. If I have a field of VARCHAR(25) in the
> database, the returned size (fda_field_attributes_get_defined_size)
> tells me it is 25 in the libgda environment. Correct. If I do the same
> against a PostgreSQL table, the returned size will always be -1 for
> this type (VARCHAR / string), while other returned values as gda_type
> are correct. So my question is, if the gda_data_model_describe_column
> has been fully implemented for the PostgreSQL data provider?

yes, it's fully implemented, although I think it always uses -1 as the
size for varchar, which is probably wrong. Could you please report a bug
to http://bugzilla.gnome.org ?

> Regarding libgnomedb-1.0.4, when I run "gnome-database-properties",
> double click on my Data Source and then click on the tab "Tables", I
> get a segmentation fault. I have to go back all the way back to
> version 1.0.1 to have a utility where I can create AND test my data
> source. Should 1.0.4 be ok? My environment is Fedora Core 1.

yes, 1.0.4 should be ok, so please run gnome-database-properties in gdb
and send us the backtrace of the crash ('bt' command in gdb after the
app crashed). If you could attach that backtrace to a bug in bugzilla,
that would be sweet also.